This isn't really my résumé. Or CV for that matter. A lot of
people don't know the difference between a curriculum vitae
and a résumé, but I won't press the point. I don't want to
post my CV for the general public, they don't need to
know that useless stuff. Also, I'm secure here in my job (I
think), liking what I do, and don't need to advertise to the world
that I'm ready to jump ship at any point.|
Instead, it's a test to see if Google
will index it. I am
constantly amazed that a certain other "Charles Leggett"
is now getting his "résumé page" as the #1 link for a google
search of "Charles Leggett". It should be obvious to any
enlightened visitor that when searching for the name
is where you want to end up.
I really have come down in the world. I used to own the
first hundred pages of google. I'm still the person that comes up
the most, but what really pisses me off, is how irrelevant the
links are. I mean, who really cares about my
at CERN - that's a bug reporting system. Or a
that I gave on the Interval of Validity Service. Or for the
love of god, when I tried to
the brake calipers on an old Peugeot 405. The car's long gone,
and you can't even find parts for it any more! You would think
to my whole site would be far more relevant! I guess the real
problem is that my portal is too clean - there's really nothing
there to index. I need more words! But you would think that
"homepage charles leggett" would get you there,
but noooooooo. It's perplexing, because I still get upwards of 2000
hits a day on my site. Sometimes more when my server, which is
currently running a particularly unstable version of 64 bit debian
flavoured linux, is actually up and running
Where else would you find detailed info about benchmarking GCC
compiler performance? Or Atlas release notes for Gaudi builds?
Or lots and lots of detailed information (with many pretty
pictures) about rock climbing in the California Sierras and
a few other places to boot. Heck, I've been accosted by strangers
thousands of miles away who recognise me, or sometimes just my
So I wonder what relevant key words I should place in here to make google
find this page extra tasty? How about:
- particle physics (ug - not too many hits here I guess)
- ATLAS - still not all that interesting
- Gaudi - always a good one as it there's somebody famous with that name
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab - boooriiing
- Fermilab and Dě - well, I don't really do any work there any more, but
there's still a lot of relevant material here for it.
- GNU gcc - wayy to technical
- Benchmarking - are you a geek or what
- Yosemite - ok, now we're getting interesting
- Tuolumne - escaping the masses
- Red Rocks - and Vegas too baby!
- The Gunks - only been there once
- Chamoix - to think I spent years there skiing without ever
looking at the rocks. sob.
- And how about some favories: Incredible Hulk, Red Dihedral,
Matthes Crest, O.Z., Gram Traverse, Fairview, Inverted Staircase,
Black Angel, Death Crack, DNB, Middle Cathedral, oh, and lots more.
- And let's not forget all the cool quotes!
Ok, I'll leave it at that for now, and see what happens.
For the real stuff, click